Misfit Wedding Logo Small

Is Wearing A Red Wedding Dress A Good Idea?

This page may contain affiliate links. If you buy something via these links, Misfit Wedding may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. This helps keep our site free for you and our hand picked businesses. Read more here

So you're thinking about breaking away from tradition and wearing a red wedding dress. Well we think that's an awesome idea!

When we're all so used to seeing white wedding dresses breaking away from that can sometimes be a bit scary, especially if family and friends are voicing their opinions and making the decision even more difficult for the bride-to-be.

Bride in red wedding dress from Uptight Clothing with colour coordinated groom.

Red wedding dress from Uptight Clothing, see more below.

Don't panic! It's ok to want a bold and beautiful dress for your wedding day. And truth be told 95% of the time all your guests will love the fact you've dared to do something different. As for the other 5% of the time, well guess what? It's your day so you can do whatever the hell you like and if other people don't like it, then that is their problem and not yours!

Yes, it's worth considering your guests when it comes to the menu or the seating plan, but the decision to wear what you want is one of the perks of being the bride. Don't let other people talk you out of wearing the dress of your dreams if you have your heart set on it.

Some people might tell you that a red dress is not appropriate, or too much like a prom dress, or not very bridal. These people are wrong. If you're the bride and it's the dress you're wearing then it is bridal. By default.

If you're looking for reasons to choose a red dress over a white one (or any other colour for that matter) then the photos below will demonstrate why wearing a red wedding dress is a great idea. You too could look this amazing!

First let's take a look at some dresses from Uptight Clothing

Red wedding dress by Uptight Clothing
Red wedding dress by Uptight Clothing
Red wedding dress by Uptight Clothing
Bride in red Uptight clothing dress with bridesmaids in red and black
Red and black themed wedding outfits.
Red wedding dress by Uptight Clothing
Red & White wedding gown by Uptight Clothing
Red corset wedding dress by Uptight Clothing
Red wedding dress by Uptight Clothing with New Rock boots

Is that a pair of red New Rock boots we can see peeking out from under that dress? Now that's how to accessorise!


If your wedding requires a simpler dress, perhaps for a 1950s theme, then here are a couple of options suitable for the rockabilly bride.

Red 1950s style dress by Dolly Dagger

The red satin dress above is available from Dolly Dagger's Bridal Collection


Another option for a 50s style dress could be this halterneck from Oh My Honey

Red 1950s style dress by Oh My Honey

If you prefer things a little fancier then how about this stunning outfit from Alissia Couture

Red mermaid gown by Alissia Couture

Or what about the Avalon Dress from The Dark Angel, made up of a silk boddice and matching red chiffon skirt and floating sleeves.

Red boddice and skirt by The Dark Angel

Fans of Steampunk may be interested in this corset wedding dress designed and made by Lyndsey Clark

Red Steampunk bridal outfit by Lyndsey Clark

Here are some unusual nature and fairy inspired blood red dress designs from Zizzyfay that would be great for a handfasting ceremony or woodland wedding.

Blood red alternative wedding gown by Zizzyfay
Blood red dress by Zizzyfay
Red fairy dress by Zizzyfay

If you're hunting for a bargain then you might want to take a look at Light In The Box, where you can find dresses like this red ball gown for very reasonable prices.

Red ball gown

Believe it or not you can even find cheap and cheerful options on Amazon, especially if you're also on the lookout for red bridesmaid dresses.

Red wedding dresses on Amazon

And don't forget everybody's favourite place for picking up a bargain, red dresses on eBay come with very affordable price tags!

Red wedding dresses on eBay

Now that you've seen a handful of the red dresses that are available, how are you feeling about wearing red on your wedding day?

Is it a good idea? Only you can decide!

Share this page

You might also like

Skull Wedding & Engagement Rings

Skull Wedding & Engagement Rings

Brad and Jeff's Super Mario Themed Wedding

Brad and Jeff's Super Mario Themed Wedding

Emelie and Drew's ‘Devil's Night’ Wedding

Emelie and Drew's ‘Devil's Night’ Wedding

Welcome to The Mad Wedding, with Liz and Josh

Welcome to The Mad Wedding, with Liz and Josh